CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day

I am on the email list for Vision Forum and received a great article for Mothers day that I wanted to pass along...see link below:

The Rise and fall of Motherhood in America


My mothers day was spent...being a mother! :) My little Kell got sick that morning and has been sick for 2 days now...poor little guy.
I was able to go to the mall ALONE (shock) for a while before being called home to care for him. I must admit that my attitude at "losing" MY day was pretty crappy...and until I read THIS little post by my dear Audrey I was very put out. The Lord used her to slap me back into reality and to remind me of how blessed I am to have such a wonderful family...and to be able to care for them. My Audrey has lost her son and I know would give any amount of "free" time to have him back...and I am humbled by her grace and strength. (I love ya girl!!!)

I hope all you beautiful mommies had a WONDERFUL day!!!

On another note...I closed all our credit card accounts and cut up ALL our cards today! It was FANTASTIC! I am very excited to get rid of our debt and not go down that path again. We have been debt free most of our marriage but the past 2 years have proven difficult and we found ourselves using debt to "comfort" buy...and down the slippery slope we went. So now we are sellling everything but the kids (!) and paying off all debt. So if anyone is looking for...well, anything...we probably have it and want to sell it! The pridefulness that I personally have had is shocking. The things I must have...appalling. We have been so strapped that we have not been able to help others who REALLY need it and that is shameful. Proverbs says that a righteous man leaves an inheritance for his children's children. At the rate we were going all they would have been left is debt and more debt. We spent ALL our money on...us. Shameful.
The whole Dave Ramsey class has just been SO awesome...not only from the debt standpoint but from so many other facets as well. I highly recommend it to everyone.

8 comments:

Audrey B said...

You are so sweet!

We are doing the same thing with the debt. We had a HUGE yard sale last weekend and got rid of so much stuff!! Dave Ramsey rocks!!

Anonymous said...

Happy mother's day!

I liked the VF email you linked to and agreed with a lot of the sentiments there, although I have heard some weird things about them, like the father/daughter retreats where daughters have to 'shave daddy' and dress daddy.' honestly that all gives me a bit of an "ick."
I can't remember where I first read about them, but here is one blog entry on it. http://ministrywatchman.com/?p=107

Didn't mean to sidetrack the point of your original post, which was mother's day. Glad it was a good one! ;-) And, congrats on the debt reduction, hard but worth it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and I had the same mother's day - although with me being so far along, husband at least cleaned up the throw-up, and I didn't get to go to the mall... but like you guys, we don't have the money anyway. ;o) I did spend my day being a mom as well, doing dishes, laundry, washing throw-up laden rugs, cleaning pukey floors, changing sheets... Audrey's post was just what I needed as well... so humbling!

I will be praying that your debt is paid down quickly. It's amazing after you get rid of it all, how easy it is to do without things you once believed you needed. Eating out and new clothes are really not all they are cracked up to be when the electric bill is late. I have Dave Ramsey to thank too!

Great post!! Oh, and have you been Beta Strep positive with any of your babies? I just found out I am with this one. :o(

Tiffany said...

Grace,

There are several things that I do not scripturally agree with concerning VF. However, I have to do what needs to be done with many different things...toss the crap and keep the good stuff. :)
Unfortunately the world has a very unbiblical view of mothers and what a moms job is. So it is refreshing to me to read a nice article that outlines our amazing job and opportunity as mothers!

Tiffany said...

Annie,
My sick one wasn't vomiting...yikes. I feel for you :(

I have chosen to not get tested for strep B...so I do not know. There are so many things you can do to get rid of it...although the chances of it being an issue are almost zero (unless you have a preemie or have diabetes). I am sure your midwife has outlined a regimen for you...you will be fine! :)

Christine said...

Hi Tiffany! I am sorry that your little guy was sick on Mother's Day. It is so sad how our culture has a total disregard for the high calling of motherhood.
I tested positive for Group Strep B with my last pregnancy, and my midwife did the hibiclens and everything was fine. My water broke 15 minutes before baby came out, which was a huge blessing.(to be exposed to the bacteria for such a short period of time) Had I been in the hospital, they would have definitely treated me as "high risk" for that.
I would love to take a Dave Ramsey class. He is such an inspiration! I would love to pay off my house as fast as I can.I hope we will never have vehicle debt again.Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!
Some of their stuff I like, some of it is a little different/odd. Glad ya'll won't be wearing the colonial clothing outfits any time soon, lol. :-)

Tiffany said...

Grace,
HA! :)