CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 22, 2006

We were jammin :)

Jam! Glorious Jam! (sing this to the tune from Oliver and you will have it right)








Homemade-fresh-Raspberry Jam and homemade-hot-out-of-the-oven bread. The aroma weaving through my house right now is edible...literally.




Isn't it pretty?! It pains me to consume such beautiful looking preserves.

Okay, I am over it.





So.........canning. Never attempted this aspect of homemaking before...out of fear, really. So, in order to conquer my fear of canning......I asked my neighbor to help me. :)

Yesterday was spend washing, smashing, cooking and canning fresh raspberries. (for the picking story, see the post below)
Things went relatively well (despite burning ourselves numerous times) until we began to actually "can". In order to get an airtight seal on the jar, one must fill it full of the desired substance (raspberry jam) and put the lid on....and the completely submerge the jar in boiling water. (those of you that know me are cringing right about now. You know how accident prone I am). The jar then boils for about 11 minutes and then the lid is supposed to pop down and create a seal. Yeah, well, in theory it is a fabulous idea. But here in Highlands Ranch other powers are at work.
One jar made a POP sound as soon as we put it in the boiling water...and we noticed dark red raspberry jam beginning to fill the pot...yep, the jar had broken. The bottom was totally sheared off. ooooddddd.

Jars that had boiled for the required 11 minutes were taken out to cool. The lids had popped down. However....about 7-8 minutes later....we hear the lids...popping back UP again!!!!!! No kidding.

So on and on this went.

Finally....after 3 hours of canning (while simultaneously refereeing 7 children), one broken jar, several burned arms, stained shirts and jeans and a LOT of homemade salsa (we HAD to pass the time...) our homemade, naturally sweetened, organic raspberry jam preserves were finished. :)

And I plan to attempt it again next week.

Yes folks, I am going to can (or jar, really) some homemade tomato marinara sauce with my fresh picked tomatoes we will be picking next week. :)

7 comments:

Audrey B said...

Fun, I would like to try that. What I want to know is how you get your bread to be so perfect. I have given up on making any and I am buying it at the Breadbecker's bakery.

Tiffany said...

No shame in purchasing their bread! YUMMY without all the work!!! I cannot wait to try some when I come out there.

Maybe while you are in labor we can make bread to pass the time :)

Unknown said...

The rasberry jam looks SO good! you should start a business and sell it! I would defintely be buying some!!!! :-) I'm with southern mama there....there's no way i could make bread!

The Griggs Gallery said...

Sooo y'know that I was going to share some tips? If you run the jars through the dishwasher, and then put them into a 220 degree oven, you can pull them out with tongs and fill them...no water bath needed! Many people do this, my Grandma has been for years. You also keep the lids and sealers simmering on the stovetop. This way is not the recommended way, but I know people who have always done it, and its easier!!!!! Love you, Noelle

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea from Noelle...sounds so much easier. I'd never heard of doing it that way. I guess I'd still be a little nervous about something evil growing in my jam.

Congrats Tiff!!! That jam looks beautiful. I wonder if the altitude had anything to do with your troubles. I'm glad you're trying it again. Homemade marinara is a GREAT idea...I'm trying that if I can get my hands on some tomatoes next summer.

Timberlace Designs said...

Beeeeeauuuuuutiful! Nice job girl!
I tried to make jam once. It ended up being syrup. Tasted good, though. One of these days I'll try it again.
I canned some pickles using Noelle's method with the jars and it worked great. Still have a jar in the pantry that looks great from well over a year and a half ago.
I so wish I had a garden.
Oh well.

Tiffany said...

First of all, y'all talk like making bread is rocket science.


Anyone that knows me knows that I AM NOT a rocket scientist.

Second....making bread is fun. My kids enjoy "helping" and it tastes SO GOOD.



Noelle, thanks for those tips.....DAYS TO LATE!!! :) Oh well....maybe next time.