CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Birthday Food

Okay....so I bring these things on myself...but I still want to vent.

On the boys birthdays they get a real treat....cereal! Our family rule it that they get cereal once a week (Sunday mornings) and that is it. On their birthdays, however, they are allowed to pick a cereal of their choice and have that on the morning of their birthday. Well, this year, my sweet Ethan just HAD to have the cereal with the toy in it. Okay. Whatever.
He brought me the chosen cereal...Fruit Loops (which I will get to in a minute) and the toy was a hideous skeleton head from Pirates of the Caribbean. I pointed this out, saying how disgusting it was, and he answered, "I am a boy mom. I like this kind of stuff." Great.
Next I tackle the fact that Fruit Loops is cancer in a box...totally unhealthy in every way and just plain nasty. Again, he pointed to the skeleton head....THAT is why he wanted the Fruit Loops.
Okay. Whatever.

So, Fruit Loops. W-H-Y is the word "fruit" in the title? There is not any fruit in them at all. In fact, the number 1 ingredient in this "food" is....drum roll please....SUGAR!!!!!!!!!! Then after some processed corn and white flour we have hydrogenated oils. Then after the cancer, I mean, oils...we have an assortment of artificial colors (more cancer, ADD, ADHD) and flavors and synthetic vitamins.
This is NOT food. It is a form of child abuse. No, really! If a kid eats this on a regular basis they will never need to be embalmed when they die....they are already fully preserved! And parents wonder why they cannot get their kid to concentrate, study, be nice, behave...."why does our child need this (addicting, cocaine derivative) medication to act normal?!"
Oh, I know. I am going overboard. OH WELL. As long as I have the responsibility to raise Godly kids and teach them to have self control...I need to give them the resources to do so...and feeding them "food" such as this is NOT the way to do that....
....except once a year ;)







Ethan was thrilled to eat his sugar...I mean, Fruit Loops. YES, I mixed it with Spelt Flakes. SO WHAT.





For his birthday dinner Ethan wanted homemade blueberry waffles with blueberry syrup. A much wiser choice, in my opinion. :)

4 comments:

Audrey B said...

You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
It's FROOT loops, not Fruit...they do not claim to have any Fruit in them, just chock full of FROOTY goodness! And, they taste great on top of vanilla ice cream!! What is spelt, or do I even want to know??
Cheryl

Tiffany said...

Oh, oops. "Frooty goodness", hu?!

Spelt is a grain...like wheat or millet or rice...and we had some spelt cereal in the pantry that I added to the "frooty goodness" the kids were eating...hoping the whole grains in the spelt would offset the massive sugar rush that was likely to occur!

Oh....you really should have seen my house for the remainder of the day....wild and crazy boys, running amuck. Poster kids for us crazy crunchy moms!!!

Luci1 said...

Ahhh...speaking of crunchy moms, have you read Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher. Also, you'd probably like Rachel Balducci's blog, testosterhome, very funny!

BTW, your boys are enormous now!!
Amazing how time flies.
Luci