CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Do you think I am blind??

As I was cleaning my kitchen today (a multi-daily act) I noticed that there was not the usual amount of noise happening. Uh-Oh. We all know what that means.
Ethan and Kellen were outside, so it had to be Tarin (Pres was asleep). I called him and he came downstairs...very slowly, and smiling. (first give-away)
I asked what he was doing... Not because I was setting him up for getting in trouble...but because he had MAKE-UP.... alllll over his face and shirt. He flashed his most beautiful and innocent smile and said, "I don't know Mom." (if you cannot tell by now...he ALWAYS starts or ends with MOM) I decided to have mercy and give him another chance. "Tarin....what were you doing upstairs?" Now he pulled out the big guns.... Those baby blues...."MOM, I don't understand!" (riiiiiight) So as we go around and around with this line of questioning, I realize the game being played here (ummm, that would be ME). Is it so bad not to want to punish him? He is just so darn cute...and can be quite sweet when he wants to. WAIT. Is it more important to show mercy...or to teach him about lying? Is he so cute that one day he can get away with _____?? Is a judge going to see those blue eyes and say "aawwww." What about the Lord? ("God, I know I disobeyed what you said...but...aren't I just the cutest thing you have ever created?") Nope. So reluctantly, I have to punish him. I have to repeat what I tell him everytime he disobeys. I have to give him consequences and hold him while he cries. And I pray that the Lord will use alllll this teaching and someday, convict him of his sin and need for a Savior. A loving God who did have mercy, and took his place.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

1 comments:

aglen said...

Isn't it hard sometimes how in the littlest things we are called to teach and train...when we really wanna laugh! But so worth the training!