CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 05, 2007

Business of Being Born

I finally saw the movie for myself!
It was just as fabulous as I had anticipated. Every mom must find a showing near her and go see the movie...you can find a showing at the website (which I linked below to show the trailer to the movie).

After the show there about 7 midwives, hospital and homebirth, who came up to answer questions. It was a great time for women to find answers and to be informed about normal birth. What was interesting, and honestly quite comical, were how the answers varied between a homebirth midwife and a hospital based midwife.
Let me preface this by saying the hospital midwives were awesome...they really know about normal birth (as most "medwives" do not)...however, it became so apparent and obvious that their hands are bound by doctors, hospital politics and insurance companies (one of the points of the movie).
A hospital based midwife is not taught, trained or allowed to catch a breech baby...although they want to be able to offer this to moms.
A homebirth midwife is not allowed by the state to catch a breech baby, but she is trained and experienced to do this and has done so when needed.
A hospital midwife is not allowed to do waterbirths.
A homebirth midwife does them all the time with wonderful outcomes and great benefits for mom/baby.
There were time constraints, monitoring constraints, doctor constraints that the hospital midwives had to comply with...sadly.
None with a homebirth midwife.
Prenatal visits with a hospital based midwife...15 minutes on average (after a long wait time).
Prenatals with a homebirth midwife (many times in your own living room) average 1 hour or more.

It became apparent quite fast the vast difference that a mom gets in care between a homebirth and a hospital birth...even with a great hospital midwife.

A mom there also made a discovery. Her birth/baby was "saved" by the doctor, right? She realized that the life-threatening situation the baby was in was caused by the doctor (and his induction, drugs, etc) and so if the situation were different, that would not have happened. I bet that would be a hard thing to realize! So he caused the problem and had to "save" it with added technology. Wouldn't we prefer to avoid that whole thing and use a person trained in preventing a bad situation in the first place?

My favorite quote of the night...given by my own midwife in answer to a question:

"It is not the same birth just a different location. It is a totally and completely different birth depending on the location"

I loved it. It sums up everything. It is a different birth.





Enjoy the trailer to the movie in case you have not sen it!



http://thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.htm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiTiffany,
Found this from a Catholic mom's blog I frequent. I did not find it appropriate to our birth experiences nor do I think you will find it appropriate, but all the same way, it's funny (in a sad, hospital birth sorta way).

http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2007/11/rubrics-of-maternity.html

Thanks,
Luci
PS I saw the Business movie and your Claudia along w/a medwife did some speaking up. The dialogue afterwards mostly irritated me, but that's just me. Some people just DON'T get it,ya know?

Tiffany said...

That blog post was funny...and the way most people think of birth, I guess. Oh well. At least they are "okay" with it...and do not feel forced into something they do not want. That is what bothers me.

I heard about the dialoge after the movie...I saw the movie twice ans the first time the dialoge was fabulous. The second time I was SO mad and felt like the women were being lied to (by the medwives there) that they could have a perfect homebirth right in the hospital if they wanted.
WHATEVER.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tiffany,

I found your blog from your birth story post on the NGeorgiaHomeBirthers Yahoo group! (I'm also a member:) I actually just posted my birth story a few days ago and I thank you for your sweet comments about it. I have tried to contact you a couple of times (once by private email through the Yahoo group and then once through your website listed on this blog. I'm not sure what email address it went to from the Yahoo group, as I just clicked on the "send email" link by your name. The second email went to an earthlink address.) So hopefully this third try will be a charm!!! In my original email, I was asking you some homeschooling advice and thanking you for your sweet comments about my son's birth story. You may have received it and not been able to reply yet, so I won't repeat all of my questions. If you did not receive the email, please let me know (email address below) and I'll re-ask all of my questions! Hope you don't mind.

Thank you so much,

Jill Jacobs
www.jacobsfamilyof4.blogspot.com
jilljacobs1@bellsouth.net

P.S. Sorry to bug you, but you seem to be a wealth of knowledge! I really want to pick your brain!! You also seem very willing to share and one to reply quickly, so that makes me think you did not receive my email. ;)

P.S.S After reading your BOBB post, I used the quote by your midwife on my facebook page under "Favorite Quotes." It was a great one, so I hope you don't mind. I have experienced both hospital birth (all natural) and homebirth. There is NO comparison!!! (and I had a good hospital experience!!!)