CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 07, 2010

Mothers Day Thoughts

Pre Mother's Day...and I wanted to remind myself (and encourage other moms) with a few thoughts.

For the past 12 years...almost 13...I have been a mother. This has been the most important "job" I will ever have; the hardest job I have ever attempted; and by far the most rewarding job one could imagine. The blessings are far reaching........generations are affected by this "job" and the world can and will be changed because of it.

God chose me, for reasons only known to Him, to guide 5 (so far) sons into manhood. I am inept, and yet, He gave me the greatest gift in my sons and entrusts me to lead them. Humbling, to say the least, for this unqualified girl. Thankfully I am not alone in this task. I am accompanied by the greatest of men, Josiah, and never left alone by my Savior, Jesus Christ.

For years my goal on Mother's Day was to NOT be a mom on that day. I wanted A DAY OFF. And for years I was always sorely disappointed.....that never happened quite the way I envisioned. Thus, a bad attitude was formed from moment one of Mother's Day and continued throughout the day and into the the following week. It became a miserable day for me...knowing that I would not get what I wanted and therefore ruining the remaining week. I have even lamented to other moms about how MY DAY was not what I had wanted; and how my family just did not do what I wanted them to do (which was, of course, to leave m alone for a while).

All this to my shame.

Last year, my dear friend Audrey posted a blurb on her blog about the general attitude on MD and how wrong it was. WRONG? Excuse me ma'am, but I am a mother 364/7/24 to 5 rowdy boys and for the love of PETE can I have ONE DAY TO MYSELF? As I read her comments, I was pierced to the core. I was THAT MOM. The one who wanted nothing to do with her family on HER day and who was always upset at her family for destroying her idea of a good day.

God help me.

And He did!

I now see the perfect Mother's Day. I now look forward to that special day TO BE A MOTHER. What better way to celebrate the blessing God has given than to be with them, interact with them and cherish them on my special day?! Now that is what I call the perfect day! That is what I can look forward to!

Because at the end of the day...it is not about me. It is about the blessings God has poured out on me through my husband, children and family. And I want to enjoy them to the fullest :)

So this Mother's Day I will not be napping alone in the house, eating chocolates while reading a book (unless, of course, the Hot Hubby supplies them!!!)....nope. Lord willing I will be enjoying a fabulous sermon at our church, hiking with my husband and 5 sons through the beautiful Colorado foothills and picnicking while watching the sapphire blue sky meet the snow white mountains....accompanied by the most precious sound in all the world.....my children's laughter.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Wow....I am convicted. Thank you for your wisdom dearie! Blessings!

Dawn said...

AMEN Sister! See you Sunday for that fabulous sermon and to encourage each other as moms and enjoy our families!

Unknown said...

So beautifully put, as always!

Audrey B said...

Beautiful Tiff! I hope you had a wonderful day.

RachelRenae said...

Dawn shared this blog post on the facebook status of a friend of mine, and I just had to comment! As a new mom (my daughter is almost 5 months old) I am in the midst of discovering new things about myself and figuring out how motherhood fits into- and shapes- my identity in Christ. It's so nice to have your perspective! So many mom resources out there (both Christian and secular) promote a selfish, all-about-me attitude. Thanks for sharing! You have a beautiful family!